[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

KDE 3.3 and sarge

[Please cc: debian-release on replies.]

As some of you probably already know, a number of packages from KDE 3.3
have been uploaded today to unstable.  This upload of a major new
upstream release was not discussed with the release team prior to
upload; actually, it's caused quite a bit of consternation and generally
made for a crappy day on account of the impact on the libtiff freeze.

The problems for libtiff have, however, been sorted at this point.
Consequently, this note is to let maintainers of KDE packages know that
the release team does not plan to delay the freeze for KDE3.3.  After
discussing with Ben Burton, it is clear that allowing only part of KDE
3.3 into sarge so close to the freeze is likely to lead to new bugs, and
that any attempt to get all of KDE3.3 into sarge at this point would
unacceptably delay the release schedule.

If you maintain KDE-related packages that still need to be updated for
sarge, this means that you will need to upload your changes to
testing-proposed-updates after discussing them with the release team
first, because any packages built against unstable will have an
unsatisfiable versioned dependency on kdelibs.  You can thank Chris
Cheney for this turn of events.

I am aware that testing-proposed-updates will be needed for kdegraphics,
kdelibs, and kdebase because of a combination of security fixes and the
still outstanding requirement to get rid of libtiff3g for sarge.  Ben
Burton has already expressed his willingness to NMU these packages if
necessary; Chris, if you are available to work on this yourself, I am of
course happy to work with you to get these packages ready for sarge.
These uploads will in any case have to wait for libtiff4 to reach sarge,
which should happen in two to three days once the new libtiff3g package
is built on all architectures.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: Digital signature

Reply to: