Re: Strongly advise preventing new hotplug from getting into 'sarge' yet

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 12:10:56AM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> > The normal effect of such a conflict is to impose the restriction "you
> > can't upgrade hotplug without removing alsa", which I trust most users
> > of testing can cope with reasonably when it scrolls across their screen.
> > Want to keep alsa?  Ok, just don't upgrade hotplug for the time being.
> > (IIRC, apt-get upgrade will naturally DTRT here.)

> Or rather, "you can't upgrade hotplug without removing alsa -- or upgrading
> it first".

> The point is that the *current* hotplug in Unstable doesn't have such a
> Conflicts:, so it can't very well go in!

> So there should be a new hotplug upload with Conflicts: alsa-base <<
> (appropriate version)?
> Or should that be a new alsa-base upload with Conflicts: hotplug <<
> (appropriate version)?...
> Or both?...

> Anyway, the packages with Conflicts: have to be uploaded before anything
> should be allowed to go in.

Given that the current version of hotplug is believed to be fixed, but
will still break older versions of alsa-base that don't include a
corresponding fix, the hotplug package must have a version conflict with
alsa-base.

I doubt there's any reason for the alsa-base package to include a
versioned conflict with hotplug.  It's co-installable just fine with
older versions of hotplug, excepting only a very narrow range of hotplug
versions that includes the version immediately preceding the one
currently in testing.  Not only will this not be a problem for users
upgrading from stable, it won't affect users following testing, either.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer