Re: Strongly advise preventing new hotplug from getting into 'sarge' yet

Steve Langasek wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 10:27:30AM -0500, David B Harris wrote:
>> On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:12:58 -0500
>> neroden@twcny.rr.com (Nathanael Nerode) wrote:
>> > I filed bug 241225 to prevent new hotplug from going into sarge until
>> > the ALSA issue is resolved.
>
>> Can one of the release managers comment on this? Me and the other ALSA
>> maintainers had planned on changing (perhaps getting rid of) the init
>> script for Sarge+1. If we need to accelerate these plans, we wouldn't
>> mind a bit of notice. It's a fairly major change.
>
> There seems to have been quite a bit of activity on this bug since your
> message; are you still looking for comments from the release team?
>
> I would note that any bug that can be described as "fake bug to keep foo
> out of testing until bar is ready" is almost certain to cause problems
> with partial upgrades.  Although generally discouraged by policy, would
> a versioned Conflicts be appropriate here?  (I.e., do you regard the
> current versions of hotplug and alsa-base to be usable enough that users
> should be able to install them together?  Bug #241225 suggests the
> answer is no.)

Unfortunately, I see no way of stating that the *current* version of hotplug
doesn't get along with the *current* version of alsa -- since they've both
been uploaded already.  :-P

New versions of hotplug and alsa-base probably should have appropriate
Conflicts: with apprpriate older versions, yes.  I'm not quite sure what.

--
Make sure your vote will count.
http://www.verifiedvoting.org/