Re: Strongly advise preventing new hotplug from getting into 'sarge' yet
On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 01:15:13 -0500
Steve Langasek <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> > Can one of the release managers comment on this? Me and the other ALSA
> > maintainers had planned on changing (perhaps getting rid of) the init
> > script for Sarge+1. If we need to accelerate these plans, we wouldn't
> > mind a bit of notice. It's a fairly major change.
> There seems to have been quite a bit of activity on this bug since your
> message; are you still looking for comments from the release team?
The hotplug team really wants the new package to get into testing, so
we've decided to go ahead and make our changes - they're still sort of
major, though. If you guys want to comment on whether that's a good or
bad idea at this point, feel free :)
> I would note that any bug that can be described as "fake bug to keep foo
> out of testing until bar is ready" is almost certain to cause problems
> with partial upgrades. Although generally discouraged by policy, would
> a versioned Conflicts be appropriate here? (I.e., do you regard the
> current versions of hotplug and alsa-base to be usable enough that users
> should be able to install them together? Bug #241225 suggests the
> answer is no.)
Yeah, there will be a conflicts as well, but nobody (on either the
hotplug team or the ALSA team) wants to have to tell users "well, you
can either use hotplug or you can use ALSA", hence the fake bug to keep
hotplug out of testing until ALSA gets changed.
Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud.
After a while, you realise the pig is enjoying it.
OpenPGP v4 key ID: 4096R/59DDCB9F
Fingerprint: CC53 F124 35C0 7BC2 58FE 7A3C 157D DFD9 59DD CB9F
Retreive from subkeys.pgp.net or risk key corruption