Re: miBoot problems

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 01:52:23AM +0100, Jeremie Koenig wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 03:58:19PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > > I guess it'll be hard to build miBoot with a free toolchain.

> > > Would a contrib package be an acceptable build-dependency for d-i images ?

> > Does any part of miboot actually have to be included in the d-i build?

> It's just like syslinux: we need miBoot on the boot floppy. So far the
> GPL hasn't been fulfilled since Debian does distribute miBoot in binary
> form, but neither its source code nor an offer to do so.

> Now, miBoot depends on a non-free toolchain to build. That mean it can't
> go into "Debian GNU/Linux". FreeDOS is in contrib for the same reason.

> My plans so far are to create a miBoot package for the contrib section,
> make d-i build-depend on it, fill an RC-bug about this, then request a
> sarge-ignore tag. Hopefully me or someone else will find a solution for
> the next release. Does it sound reasonable ?

Given that we've been doing much worse in the past (i.e., failing to
comply with the license), it sounds reasonable to me; I'm cc:ing
debian-release on this for a canonical answer, though.

> > I thought miboot was simply the bootloader, that would need to be
> > pointed at the d-i images to be booted?

> It's _inside_ the image. So far the binary is distributed by Debian
> inside boot-floppy-hfs.img and inside the boot-floppies source code and
> cvs repository (ouch!).

Ok, that makes it more of an issue than if we were able to, say, point
users at a place to download (legal) miBoot binaries while still
grabbing the images from the main archive.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer