Re: Status of mozilla packages for debian 3.1 release

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 10:44:54AM +0100, Eric Valette wrote:
> Eric Valette wrote:
>
> >This shows that very basic feature are not working with debian provided
> >mozilla packages whereas they *do work* with the official mozilla binary
> >and are therefore either due to maintainer changes (the uncompressed
> >diff is about 3Mb in size which is not reasonable I think!!!) or to

3 MB sounds enormous.

We have the source, so let's take 2 minutes and check what the diff
contains:

- 1,5 MB release notes of various Mozilla versions
- 400 kB maintainer scripts and changelog
- > 700 kB unused patches in debian/broken and debian/unused
- 550 kB for a copy of libart_lgpl
- 68 kB of patches

68 kB of patches doesn't sound much for a big package like Mozilla.

I'm not a Mozilla expert, but after a quick look none of these patches
seems to be suspicious for being the cause of the problems you describe.

> >compiler bugs that should be reported upstream anyway. Possible Compiler
> >bugs could be easilly eliminated by compiling the original code without
> >patches with the default gcc.

Why do you think the Debian gcc would contain more bugs than the default
gcc?

Especially on architectures other than i386 gcc often needs patches to
work correctly that are not in the upstream gcc - the vast majority of
compiler bugs is not on i386.

> Just for the sake of completeness, I downloaded the mozilla-1.5 original
> tarball and used the following compilation options :
>

> configure	--prefix=/usr/local/mozillaTry
> 		--enable-xft
> 		--with-pthreads
> 		--enable-crypto
> 		--disable-tests
> 		--disable-debug
> 		--enable-reorder
> 		--enable-strip
> 		--enable-xterm-updates
> 		--enable-cpp-rtti
> 		--enable-optimize='-O3 -march=athlon'

You know that -O3 usually produces slower code than -O2 ?

>  		--enable-cpp-exceptions
> 		--enable-calendar
>
> And as expected :
> 	1) XFT is worling correctly
> 	2) Compilation went with warning but finished without errors

The Debian package currently compiles on all architectures.

Compilation problems usually don't show up on i386. The 68 kB patches in
the Debian package contain e.g. fixes for compilation on alpha, arm,
hppa and ia64.

Does your original tarball compile and work on these architectures?

> 	3) The CRT-ALT-C and Search '*' problem do not exist => those bug
> 	have
> been *introduced* by the maintainer changes!!!
>
> So comiling it myself give a better result than mozilla distributed
> binaries but *ALSO* compared to debian packages.

That's not yet proved.

If you only want to complain, be happy and go back to your kindergarten.

If you want to improve the Debian package of Mozilla, it might help if
you could isolate the problem why a self-compiled Mozilla works better
than the Debian package for you.

My first suspect would be that your package is compiled with Gtk 1
while the Debian package is compiled with Gtk 2. But if this would be
the problem, reverting the Debian package to Gtk 1 might cause serious
problems in other packages like e.g. epiphany-browser.

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed