Re: Some observations regardig the progress towards Debian 3.1

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 02:03:08PM +0000, Wookey wrote:
> Doing my builds on a testing machine, then uploading to
> unstable can mean I introduce packages compiled against the wrong library
> versions. Source-only uploads would solve this and I could do test-compiles
> on some debian machine.

Off topic - you can have an unstable chroot on your testing machine
for this, eg. with pbuilder.

> > - insufficiently-narrowed deps, causing stuff to migrate where it
> >   should not
> >  => this looks like a real non-trivial problem to me.  Ideas anyone ?
>
> Obviously it can be tricky for a maintainer to get right as they can't
> necessarily try all (any!) of the possibilities but it should be aspired-to.
> On the other hand, in my experience build-deps are sometimes
> unecessaily-narrowed and require new versions of things for no particular
> reason I can determine. I suspect the shlibdeps automation contributes to
> this?

Hm, the shlibdeps automation should not have an influence on
build-deps, which belong to *source* packages only.

One thing I see about this, however, is that sometimes a rebuild with
more recent libs is required to get rid of some bug.  And since
there's no guaranty that a buildd has all latest versions (see
http://people.debian.org/~dirson/buildinfo/ for a demo), I (and
probably others) tend to add versionned builddeps as >=, whereas it
should probably be an unversionned build-dep, together with a
version range in build-conflicts.

There may also be the case where one cannot exactly determine from
changelogs (debian _and_ upstream) what version of a builddep is
needed, and make a safe bet.

Regards,
--
Yann Dirson    <ydirson@altern.org> |    Why make M$-Bill richer & richer ?