Re: Attempted "testing propagation status" report

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 09:40:35AM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> do we have a period in the release cycle, where no new versions enter
> unstable, so that packages depending on other packages can catch up?
> something like a bug fixing upload period only?

I had another idea.  In my spare time I've been working on new
"update testing" scripts.  Progress is slow so I don't want to say
much about that.  However, I occurs to me that it might be very
helpful if the testing scripts could choose from a number of
alternate versions of a package when updating testing.  An example
is probably in order.

Say 'A' depends on 'B' with a matching version number.  In testing
we have:

    A_1 B_1

and in unstable:

    A_1 B_2

We can't move B into testing since it's waiting for A.  Now someone
uploads a new version of B,

    A_1 B_3

and shortly after someone finally uploads A,

    A_2 B_3

it would be nice if the testing scripts could use B_2 to update the
testing distribution.  There would still have to be a way to mark
unstable packages as buggy so they don't get into testing.

  Neil