Re: stable with 2.2.11 (was Re: Stable release management)

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> I agree -- it's fine to upgrade to kernel 2.2.x in slink, but
> upgrading libc is just too much of a radical step.  Lets do it one
> step at a time, ok?

yep. linux 2.2 is a very much needed upgrade. glibc2.1 certainly isn't.

> So the short list of upgrades:
>
>   * kernel to 2.2.x (personally, I think 2.2.11 is acceptable and
> 2.2.10 is not (2.2.10 has NFS server crashes which I've experienced)

There are some oddities with .11 as well, so I'd rather wait for 2.2.12.

>   * any upgrades req'd for kernel 2.2

yes.

>   * pcmcia

needed by the upgrade.

>   * X11

upgrade to 3.3.4.

> Anything else?  I hope not....

util-linux (current slink version is supposed to have y2k problems).

GNOME 1.0
	(everyone complained the GNOME 0.3 shipped with slink was hardly
usable; since there has not been too many complaints with the GNOME update
for slink released a few months ago, it will be merged in slink).

> I think if we try to do too much in the stable updates, developers will
> get justifiably upset, pointing out that we're distracting effort from
> getting potato out.

indeed; but OTOH, if we don't upgrade enough packages, it's not worth the
trouble ;).

--
- Vincent RENARDIAS  vincent@{{ldsol,pipo}.com,{debian,openhardware}.org} -
- Debian/GNU Linux:   http://www.openhardware.org        Executive Linux: -