Re: News from dh-r

Am Fri, Nov 17, 2023 at 11:18:50PM +0530 schrieb Nilesh Patra:
> On Fri, Nov 17, 2023 at 06:40:56PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > That's fixed via
> >
> >    https://salsa.debian.org/r-pkg-team/r-cran-tmb/-/blob/master/debian/rules#L10-15
> >
> > Its perfectly correct that r-cran-matrix is not specified explicitly in
> > d/control.  You can check this by building and see the result.
>
> This was just meant to be an example. dh-update-R is doing things
> correctly for this package - however removing it altogether without
> sanity checking is not correct.
>
> If dh-update-R is actually checking for such versioninfo via some
> mechanism and not blindly removing such deps, I would concur that it
> works well.

Its hard to tell dh-update-R what to remove and what not.  It calls
for user interaction when it finds that the string

  # <dh-update-R>do not delete this</dh-update-R>

was removed.  That's not optimal but its not really blindly.  In the
r-cran-tmb case no user interaction is needed (any more) since the
problem is solved inside the packaging.  At least this is the idea
of this "do not delete" hack.