Re: News from dh-r

On Sun, Nov 12, 2023 at 04:53:28PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Am Sun, Nov 12, 2023 at 05:40:07PM +0530 schrieb Nilesh Patra:
> > In some relatively cases, where a depends in DESCRIPTION has a version that does not confirm with debian version (for instance something like 1.3-1-2) it wasn't possible to even patch the description file since dh-r would convert the dash to dot so I had to patch that out completely and add it to depends. I need to find specific example here.
> >
> > If I remember correctly but dh-update-r would remove these useful depends. So if you could fix this up as well, it'd be great.
>
> It would be great if you have some example to test the code (and make
> sure I really understood the problem properly).

For instance r-cran-tmb repository on salsa has:

$ cat debian/control| grep -A5 ^Depends:
Depends: ${R:Depends},
         ${shlibs:Depends},
         ${misc:Depends},
# <dh-update-R>do not delete this</dh-update-R>
         r-cran-matrix (>= 1.5-3-1~)

$ dh-update-R

 cat debian/control| grep -A5 ^Depends:
Depends: ${R:Depends},
         ${shlibs:Depends},
         ${misc:Depends}
Recommends: ${R:Recommends}
Suggests: ${R:Suggests}

$ apt policy dh-r 2>/dev/null | grep Installed
  Installed: 20231109

I feel this needs fixing.

Best,
Nilesh