Re: Debian R 4.2.2 packages

Hi Kurt,

Am Tue, Nov 08, 2022 at 12:06:51PM +0100 schrieb Kurt Hornik:
> > According to item 2. above I personally think that specifically
> > these packages need to be tested since they are not tested on
> > CRAN any more.  How should we otherwise know whether they are
> > working or not?
>
> These packages were *archived* from CRAN because they no longer worked
> properly.  If at all, they should be dropped from Debian.
>
> Now, some CRAN package maintainers do not take their archival deadline
> quite seriously, and packages can come back alive within a few days of
> their archival.  But after e.g. 28 days they are generally gone for
> good.

Thanks a lot for this explanation.  I admit I have the feeling we are
maintaining too much CRAN packages anyway and we get more by new
dependencies or user requests.  So droping some packages from time to
time makes perfectly sense.  We should probably take the list you
assembled and remove a couple of these packages.  However, I would
checkout popcon (user statistics) whether a package is used or not.

> I could set up a cron job which reports such cases?

May you could feed the results to some website?  We could have a
look to this site from time to time.

Thanks again for your helpful hints