Re: Need for maintainers

Dear Eric,

Le samedi 13 février 2021 à 18:10 -0500, Eric Brown a écrit :
I am a maintainer of a few R packages on CRAN and am interested in becoming more involved in Debian, but do not currently have any Debian packaging experience. Is there a need for additional maintainers in this Debian R group? And if so, is there a resource that describes the best practices for maintaining R packages in Debian?

As Andreas said, we could make use of more manpower in the team. In particular, we currently only maintain a subset of all the CRAN packages, so by having more people we could extend our coverage.

For a general introduction to Debian packaging, you could have a look at the “maint-guide” package. The document is also online at:
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/index.en.html
(it is also available in other languages)

More packaging resources can be found at: https://www.debian.org/doc/devel-manuals

We do not have a document describing the specific practices of the Debian R Team. However, by looking at an example, as suggested by Andreas, you should have a pretty good idea of how we do things.

You may also want to look at this wiki page which is the home of our team: https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/r-pkg-team

Don’t hesitate to ask for more help/pointers.

Best regards,

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer