Re: r-cran-rsdmx autopkgtest failing

Le lundi 08 février 2021 à 22:28 +0100, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> On Mon, Feb 08, 2021 at 09:38:07PM +0100, Sébastien Villemot wrote:
> > Many things cannot be automated:
> > - importing a new upstream release requires a manual check of all
> > license/copyright changes
>
> That's correct but no argument against using an automated tool.

Sure. But there is the risk of forgetting to do the manual task
associated to what the tool has done automatically. I like to be forced
to do something manually in order not to forget those steps.

Maybe routine-update could be improved by printing a message about what
has to be done manually whenever it does something automatically (e.g.
checking the copyright/licences changes, checking the policy upgrade
list, checking the debhelper compat level upgrade list).

> > - bumping to a new Standards-Version requires a manual check of what
> > needs to be updated to comply with the new policy version
>
> I admit I simply trust lintian to do this job.

In practice there are many aspects of the policy that are not checked
by lintian.

lintian-brush does some of those upgrades automatically, but only for
specific pairs of older/newer policy versions, when it can be
ascertained automatically that compliance is effective.

> > - bumping to a new debhelper compat level requires a manual check of
> > what could break/change with the new level
>
> If the package builds correctly and passes its autopkgtest I assume the
> compat level bump had no negative effect and should be done.

Again, that is not generally true. It is impossible in practice to
create an autopkgtest that checks every aspect of a package.

> > So I have the impression that most tasks, even those apparently
> > routinized, cannot be automated. Moreover, lintian-brush already seems
> > to cover the cases that can be. But maybe routine-update has features
> > that I am not aware of…
>
> Routine-update is doing all those things that I manually did for
> several packages before.  For R packages it runs
>
>     dh-update-R && cme fix dpkg-control
>
> to cover new Build-Depends (and remove useless / redundant version
> specifications afterwards).  It does boring things like
>
>     sed -i 's/ADTTMP/AUTOPKGTEST_TMP/g' debian/tests/run-unit-test
>
> (may be that feature is also provided by lintian-brush but when
> this feature was added to routine-update it was not).  Feel free to
> simply try it and check the commit log (which I did probably 100
> times).  The result is a set of normalised packages in the team.

I value the standardization of packages within a team. However, in
Debian this is usually achieved by mandating compliance to a team
policy document.

If you have noticed anything in my R packages that does not comply with
team practices, please let me know.

Best,

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot