Re: r-cran-rsdmx autopkgtest failing

On Mon, Feb 08, 2021 at 09:38:07PM +0100, Sébastien Villemot wrote:
> Many things cannot be automated:
> - importing a new upstream release requires a manual check of all
> license/copyright changes

That's correct but no argument against using an automated tool.

> - bumping to a new Standards-Version requires a manual check of what
> needs to be updated to comply with the new policy version

I admit I simply trust lintian to do this job.

> - bumping to a new debhelper compat level requires a manual check of
> what could break/change with the new level

If the package builds correctly and passes its autopkgtest I assume the
compat level bump had no negative effect and should be done.

> So I have the impression that most tasks, even those apparently
> routinized, cannot be automated. Moreover, lintian-brush already seems
> to cover the cases that can be. But maybe routine-update has features
> that I am not aware of…

Routine-update is doing all those things that I manually did for
several packages before.  For R packages it runs

    dh-update-R && cme fix dpkg-control

to cover new Build-Depends (and remove useless / redundant version
specifications afterwards).  It does boring things like

    sed -i 's/ADTTMP/AUTOPKGTEST_TMP/g' debian/tests/run-unit-test

(may be that feature is also provided by lintian-brush but when
this feature was added to routine-update it was not).  Feel free to
simply try it and check the commit log (which I did probably 100
times).  The result is a set of normalised packages in the team.