Re: R 4.0.0 is here, transition is stalled

Salut Charles,

On 25 April 2020 at 12:25, Charles Plessy wrote:
| I had a look and found that the two build failures of 3.6.1 and 3.6.2
| were addressed in https://bugs.debian.org/946836.  This is good news
| because the bug log shows recent interest on all sides to solve build
| issues on PowerPC.

That is PowerPC. My reading of

  https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=r-base&suite=experimental#problem-1

is that ppc64el (release) and powerpc (non-release) and ppc64 (non-release)
are in fact distinct.

Moreover, the bug #946836 you mention was a _hard_ compilation failure, not
this weird timeout after 150 mins of trying to byte compile (or whatever goes
into sysdata.rda).  So no cigar :-/

| The transition can not complete until either R 4.0.0 builds on PowerPC
| or all the r-* packages are removed from Testing by the Release team.  I
| think it would be useful if somebody (you ?) would check with the R
| developers if the build failures looks like easy to resolve.  This is
| something that I expect the Release team would want to know anyway.

Yes. I followed the wiki and requested an account on ppc64el hosted in
Brazil. We'll see how it goes.

A+,  Dirk

--
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org