Any hint how to successfully use libhunspell-dev in r-cran-hunspell

Hi Joost and other readers,

since the new version of r-cran-magick would need r-cran-spelling in its
test suite I intend to package this and its dependency r-cran-hunspell.
I realised that Joost started with this.  I upgraded the packaging and
also tried to use the Debian packaged libhunspell-dev.  I was able to
work around missing header files in libhunspell-dev but before I go on
writing a bug report to include the missing headers I'd love to be sure
that the package really builds nicely.  Unfortunately the current status
in Git ends up with

Error: loading failed
Execution halted
ERROR: loading failed
* removing '/build/r-cran-hunspell-3.0+dfsg/debian/r-cran-hunspell/usr/lib/R/site-library/hunspell'
dh_auto_install: R CMD INSTALL -l /build/r-cran-hunspell-3.0\+dfsg/debian/r-cran-hunspell/usr/lib/R/site-library --clean . "--built-timestamp='Sun, 28 Jul 2019 15:37:29 +0200'" returned exit code 1
make: *** [debian/rules:4: binary] Error 255

Any hint how to fix this?