Re: Question for r-bioc-lpsymphony

Hi Ralf,

On Sat, Jul 06, 2019 at 09:26:28AM +0200, Ralf Stubner wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 5, 2019 at 3:25 PM Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
> > I have injected r-bioc-lpsymphony[1] since it is needed for BioC IHW
> > which in turn is needed to upgrade r-bioc-metagenomeseq (which has other
> > issues with locfit dependencies anyway).  lpsymphony has a driectory
> >
> >   src/SYMPHONY/ThirdParty
> >
> > where the user is supposed to put the **sources** of lapack and glpk.
>
> That's ugly ...

Yes.

> > Well, we have both libraries so why putting the sources?  Shouldn't it
> > be possible to link dynamically?
>
> Actually we also have the symphony library (used by r-cran-rsymphony ...)
> and lpsymphony's configure is looking for it:
> https://salsa.debian.org/r-pkg-team/r-bioc-lpsymphony/blob/master/configure#L12
>
> So it might be sufficient to add 'coinor-libsymphony-dev' to Build-Depends
> and the corresponding library to Depends.

I perfectly know this.  The description of lpsymphony explicitly says:

 The main difference between this package and
 Rsymphony is that it includes the solver source code (SYMPHONY version
 5.6), while Rsymphony expects to find header and library files on the
 users' system. Thus the intention of lpsymphony is to provide an easy to
 install interface to SYMPHONY.

The point is actually *how* to use the packaged libs and this is why
I was asking for help here.  Would you consider crafting a patch?

Or would you condider crafting a patch for IHW to rather use Rsymphony
instead of lpsymphony?