Re: CNEr does not build

Hi Martin,

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 12:50:35PM -0400, Martin Morgan wrote:
> For what it's worth, R will not create a configure file from configure.ac on
> package install, so the presence of configure.ac seems to be a red herring
> -- there is no point in patching configure.ac or to search for
> src/Makevars.in, since neither of these are used.

Thanks for the hint.

> For me
>
>   R CMD build CNEr && R CMD INSTALL CNEr*gz
>
> compiles and installs 'as expected'.
>
> Of course one wonders why configure.ac is present if not used, or vv for
> configure, src/Makevars.in

After I removed configure.ac it builds for me.  Thanks a lot for the hint.

However, I insist that this

$ grep -Ri cpEndTarget src/*
src/alignment.c:  int nrGapsTarget, nrGapsQuery, cpStartTarget, cpEndTarget, cpStartQuery, cpEndQuery;
src/alignment.c:    cpEndTarget = 0;
src/alignment.c:        cpENdTarget = j;

looks highly suspicious and this

$ grep -R "INTEGER(newqStart)" src/*
src/alignment.c:        INTEGER(newqStart) = j + INTEGER(axtqStart)

as well.  I have no idea how this can be build by any C compiler and
would strongly recommend to consider (or enhance) this patch[1].

Kind regards and thanks again for your help

     Andreas.

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/r-pkg-team/r-bioc-cner/blob/master/debian/patches/fix_syntax.patch