Re: Choice of a Maintainer address for the team

Hi Sébastien,

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 01:28:02PM +0200, Sébastien Villemot wrote:
> Given that we are going to do source uploads of all arch:all R packages, I
> think this is a good opportunity to update the Maintainer field of those
> package to reflect the creation of the Debian R Packages team (and incidentally
> make things like DDPO/QA and Debian Maintainer Dashboard work for the team, so
> that we no longer have to reinvent the wheel to see, for example, which
> packages are outdated).

I agree that it is a good point in time and I'd be really happy to end the
situation of having at least three maintainer addresses.

> There has already been a discussion on this topic on debian-science@, to which
> you can refer for more context.¹
>
> Basically we have two options:
>
> 1) team+r-pkg-team@tracker.debian.org
>    Pros: allows fine-tuning of DAK/BTS message subscriptions
>    Cons: human messages go to /dev/null (but this is temporary, see #891504)

When reading the bug log of #891504 I do not have the impression that
there is any short term solution.  The issue is just recorded but no
response if or when it will be solved.

> 2) debian-r@lists.debian.org
>    Pros: simplicity (only one email address for the team, no need to subscribe
>          to tracker.debian.org)
>    Cons: everyone receives all emails for all packages, no tuning possibility

I think bluring this list with automatic messages, specifically we seem
to trigger way more of these than human messages also does not seem to
be a good idea.

> My preference goes for 1), though I would also be fine with 2).

I slightly agree since the cons of 1) are not as worse as for 2) but I
somehow wished we would have a real maintainers list as it was usual in
the "good old days" of Alioth. ;-)  So I'm somehow wondering whether
creating a new list on alioth-lists.debian.net might be a third option.
If this is not I'd say:  I do not disagree with 1) but I'm not happy
about it.