Re: R 3.5.0 on April 23 -- new r-api-3.5 and full rebuilds needed

On 20 March 2018 at 12:55, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

| So R 3.5.0 was just announced, and it will (AFAIK) require a full rebuild of
| packages as an important internal change is coming ("ALTREP").

The doc/NEWS.Rd says compiled packages need a rebuild (just like with 3.4.*)

      \item The object header layout has been changed to support merging
      the \code{ALTREP} branch. This requires re-installing packages
      that use compiled code.

But then there is also

  \subsection{PACKAGE INSTALLATION}{
    \itemize{
      \item By default, packages are now byte-compiled on installation.
    }
  }

so we may as well go "nuclear" and also reap that benefit for R-only packages.

Full details at the GitHub of the R SVN:

   https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/trunk/doc/NEWS.Rd

Dirk

--
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org