Git workflow [was Re: Your upload of r-cran-xts]

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 08:05:03AM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On 15 March 2018 at 13:17, Sébastien Villemot wrote:
> | And I'm in no way trying to deter you from updating packages from the team.
> | Quite the contrary, since you have commit rights on all the team's
> | repositories. You are more than welcome to contribute to those packages, as
> | long as you follow the team practices (which essentially means sticking to the
> | git workflow using git-buildpackage).
>
> ... for which I'd need a tutorial or someone patient for a one-on-one.
>
> I have been doing this since 1995, and for most of this time via a local
> pbuilder (which I am quite familiar and happy with). I probably would have to
> adjust all my local scripts etc which simply is a barrier to entry I have
> been meaning to devote time to for some time now, but haven't yet. My loss,
> but that is the status quo (coupled with the aforementioned de-motivation due
> to other non-technical reasons).
>
> So thanks for the invite, it is appreciated, I even cloned a repo, but don't
> hold your breath.  My current setup works, and we all have other things to do
> too that rejigging tools.

Sure, I understand that it takes time and energy to move to another workflow.

If that helps, I wrote a git-buildpackage tutorial for another team with a
quite similar workflow (the only difference is the changelog entries; in the
r-pkg-team we prefer to manage them with "gbp dch", see the gbp-dch(1)
manpage, which means that we don't use debcommit):

 https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianCommonLisp/GitPackaging

If you think it is worth it I could create a modified copy of this page for the
r-pkg-team, let me know.

Best,

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot