Re: KDE 4.5 in Debian 6.0 Squeeze?

[Piotr Dąbrowski - Samstag 14 August 2010 13:36:37]
> > All new releases fix bugs and they all introduce
> > new (annoying) ones.
>
> I haven't exerienced any annoying bugs in 4.5 so far.
> And there are plenty of them in 4.4.5 - mainly plasma crashes f.e. when you
> drag&drop a quick lunch icon on itself instead of clicking it (very common
> situation).

One person experience Bug A, another person bug B and the other way
around, it works fine.

> > But the main reason is that rules are rules:
> > freeze is in effect and there is no workaround
> > for the limits it imposes.
>
> Probably the freeze date was a wrong choice then. KDE 4.5 release schedule
> was well known after all.
> Does Debian not care about KDE users anymore?

Well, what about GNOME users, MySQL users, Apache users, Subversion users,
Midnight COmmander users, ...
There is always some release that would be nice to have in the near future.
Waiting for those leads to no freeze at all. I think 4.4.5 is a better choice
than 4.5.0. In 4.5.0 you have the kdepim issue with some release around KDE
4.5.2 or so.

> I just think that KDE 4.4.5 is not stable enough to be in stable branch of
> Debian. Version 4.5 is just a fix for this situation. And many other users
> agree with that.

4.5 is not "just" a fix. It's a new release with new issues. And here 4.4.x
runs smoothly since 4.4.2 or 4.4.3. So, there might be "many" that have
crashing issues, but there also are "many" without major problems in 4.4.5.

Regards