Re: libsoprano sesame2 backend

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 07:11:06PM +0530, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 Aug 2009 17:59:06 Ana Guerrero wrote:
> > Are you talking about something you found in a PPA or other repo?
> > Because ubuntu's soprano's package is quite similar to Debian's:
> > https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/soprano
> >
> > There were some distribution problems not very clear with some sesame2
> > stuff (jar files ) last time I checked, and that is also a problem for
> > ubuntu.
> >
> > Also, take into account thata  package something is not putting some files
> > under debian/, ship it to the archive and forget. You have to look at the
> > different packaging policies (in this case java) and keep them updated,
> > look at all the build depends and depends packaged, then keep mantaining it
> > and being able to look at bug reports... Nobody in the team was interested
> > in that, and that is most of the job.
> >
> > I think we both, ubuntu and debian packages, are looking forward to see the
> > virtuoso backend.
>
> Ana,
>
> I'm not sure if there's a difference in between sesame and sesame2.
>
> Kubuntu is packaging sesame:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/soprano-backend-sesame

They are packaging sesame split out from soprano, in multiverse, that is some kind
of communitary non-free repository. AFAIK, this is not ubuntu. Just some extra
repos they give support and you have to activate in your sources. Alike to
Debian's non-free.
I understood your first email as they were shipping sesame2 *inside* soprano
which defitively made things different.

> And the only additional dependency it adds is java2-runtime, which debian
> already packages.

Then, you can get the package, rebuild for yourself for Debian and report the
problems you find to upstream. Read pusling's mail in the thread for some more
help :)

As said, nobody in the team is interested in maintaining that. Once yu have it
in the archive, even if it is non-free, you have to give it a minimum of
support and take care of reverse deps, etc.

Ana