Re: Some KDE libs still use .kde4 instead of .kde?

2009/10/22 Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer <perezmeyer@gmail.com>:
> On Wednesday 21 October 2009 22:29:57 Brendon Higgins wrote:
>> Hi,
> [snip]
>> Why is it opening files in .kde4 *and* .kde? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I
>>  was under the impression that the .kde4 to .kde transition had already
>>  taken place (c.f. kaboom). It seems, perhaps, the KDE globals library is
>>  still using configuration in the .kde4 folder. This doesn't sound right to
>>  me.
>
> I may surely be missing something, but afaik, it should not be looking
> in.kde4.
>
> I just did a grep in the pkg-kde team's svn trunk, and found [0].
>
> The only line I find suspicious is:
>
> lisandro@luna:~/damian/debian/pkg-kde/svn/trunk$ grep -irn "\.kde4" *
> cdbs/variables.mk:10:        -DKDE_DEFAULT_HOME=.kde4 \
>
> Of course, that may be outdated or unused. But I'll leave that to people who
> really knows about it :)
>
> Regards, Lisandro.
>
> [0] <http://paste.debian.net/49689/>

This cdbs makefile is no longer used in our packages. What is reading
.kde4 is Qt, not kde.

Take a look at this code:
http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qt/blobs/master/src/gui/kernel/qapplication_x11.cpp#line889
http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qt/blobs/master/src/gui/kernel/qkde.cpp#line59

In short, Qt prefers reading from .kde4 if it is there, which is the
correct thing to do, given that Qt has no idea which is the default
KDEHOME.

Regards,
George