Build failure with autoconf 2.60: "requires autoconf 2.53 or newer"

Half of KDE and a number of other applications currently fail to build
with a message similar to:

| *** YOU'RE USING autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.60.
| *** KDE requires autoconf 2.53 or newer

Before I file bugs on these packages, I wanted to check whether this
is a known problem and/or whether the new autoconf reports its version
in an incompatible way (that could be changed to avoid these build
failures).

Comments?

The packages affected include the following (but there are probably
some more):

kdbg_2.0.4-1
kde-style-polyester_0.9.2-1
kdeedu_4:3.5.2-1