Fwd: Re: Debian support for XDG_MENU_PREFIX under GNOME

Subject: Re: Debian support for XDG_MENU_PREFIX under GNOME
Date: Monday 04 December 2006 20:54
From: Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>
To: "Bastian, Waldo" <waldo.bastian@intel.com>
Cc: Sebastien Bacher <seb128@debian.org>, Marc Dequènes "(Duck"
<Duck@duckcorp.org>, Adeodato Simó <asp16@alu.ua.es>, Kevin Krammer
<kevin.krammer@gmx.at>, Vincent Untz <vuntz@gnome.org>,
debian-gtk-gnome@lists.debian.org, "Banginwar, Rajesh"
<rajesh.banginwar@intel.com>

Le lundi 04 décembre 2006 à 10:59 -0800, Bastian, Waldo a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to find out what the status is of Debian's support for
> XDG_MENU_PREFIX. In case you have no idea what XDG_MENU_PREFIX is, let
> me explain:
>
> The XDG Menu Specification specifies the use of an applications.menu
> file to describe the menu layout. This implies a single menu layout
> regardless of desktop environment used. Some distributions (Debian in
> particular) wanted to have different menu layouts dependng on the
> desktpo environment used, and decided to prefix the applications.menu
> file with either "gnome-" or "kde-". Unfortunately this breaks
> applications that expect an applications.menu file to be used (as the
> specification says it will). To accommodate the need for different
> desktop layouts under different desktop environments, the XDG Menu
> Spec has been updated [1] and the notion of $XDG_MENU_PREFIX has been
> introduced. XDG_MENU_PREFIX indicates the prefix, if any, that is
> applied in front of "applications.menu". So if Debian is using
> "gnome-applications.menu" instead of "applications.menu", it will need
> to export XDG_MENU_PREFIX="gnome-"

Having this implemented with an environment variable is a very wrong
decision IMHO. Furthermore, there is no way such a thing can be
integrated in Debian as it conflicts directly with policy §9.9.

> That's the straightforward part. The hairy part is that
> XDG_MENU_PREFIX must _NOT_ be applied to the applications-merged
> directory. The rationale for this is that third party applications
> should be able to install menu extension in applications-merged that
> apply regardless of the desktop environment used. So far Debian
> did/does not follow this part of the specification and used/uses
> "gnome-appplications-merged" and "kde-applications-merged" instead of
> "applications-merged". Kevin Krammer recently patched KDE 3.5.x to
> correct this behavior for KDE under Debian. I was wondering whether
> this problem has been addressed at the GNOME side as well?

Indeed, as gnome-menus expands the menu name based on the patched name,
it is reading gnome-applications-merged.menu.

I'm all for patching gnome-menus (as well as gnome-panel and bug-buddy
if necessary) to read applications-merged.menu instead of
gnome-applications-merged.menu if this can help, but this will *not* be
done with an environment variable.
--
Josselin Mouette                /\./\

"Do you have any more insane proposals for me?"