Re: pkg-kde: commit - rev 90 - in trunk/packages/kdelibs/debian: . dh-make

On Tuesday 06 April 2004 02:32, Christopher Martin wrote:
> On April 5, 2004 08:05 pm, Ben Burton wrote:
> > IMO it's still worth encouraging it in Packaging.txt - even KDE users
> > encouter the missing icons nowadays in the Debian menu, where all the
> > KDE apps are duplicated (AIUI).  And for people who don't use KDE (or
> > GNOME?), unless we supply icons in the debian menu files, they won't
> > have any icons for these KDE apps at all.
> >
> > Even if you're not adding icons to kdebase right now, it's still worth
> > encouraging packagers of new apps to do it properly. :)
>
> While we're on the subject of good practice, I've also noticed that
> the .desktop files that constitute the KDE menu are spread
> between /usr/share/applications/kde and /usr/share/applnk. Both locations
> seem to work, but is there a preferred standard? I've always used applnk,
> but with 3.2 applications/kde seems to have become more popular. If there
> is a preferred place, then this might be worth mentioning in
> Packaging.txt as well.

.desktop files in /usr/share/applications and /usr/share/applnk are not
identical.  So there is only one 'right' location depending if it follows
'old' kde desktop files rules or new 'xdg' rules.

Of course the prefered way (tm) are now xdg compliant desktop files.
That has the advantage that at least in gnome all kde apps should have
an icon without adding 84 times xpm them in debian specific .menu files ;)
(A kde desktop files has normally also much translations)

Achim

Achim