Re: RFS: Need a sponsor for my konversation package

Hi Domi,

I'm glad to see konversation getting uploaded!  It looks like we've both put
some work into packaging this app, and this can only be a good thing.

I propose we merge the packages and consider a joint maintainership.  Even
though it's a relatively small package (compared to say, emacs or kdebase),
it never hurts to have have extra hands and eyeballs, and it'd be less likely
that we'd both be on vacation, for example.  =)

If you're interested in this approach, let me know, and we can work out the
technical details  (I could give you an account in my svn repository and we
could maintain the packaging there, for example.)

On Tuesday 06 April 2004 05:34 am, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> So, as for resolving this:
>
> * I agree with you taking over the konversation package, since I'm at
>   fault here, and you seem to know the program better ( I use irssi
>   for irc ;) )

Ok, but I'd love to have you as a co-maintainer if you find the idea
agreeable.

> * Maybe we could discuss some of the differences between the two
>   packages:

Yes, let's.  =)  Btw, where can I find your source package?  It doesn't look
like it's hit incoming yet.  I'll comment as best I can without having seen
your package, for now.

>   + the manpage: I used a manpage as generated with the kdemangen.pl
>     from kdesdk/scripts ( with some manual tuning ), and as such, it
>     documents far more options of the program than yours ( I suppose
>     it's hand-written ).  Not sure which is better though.

I like your approach here.  Writing my manpage by hand in DocBook XML was a
fun learning experience, but I have no sentimental attachment to it.  =)  We
should probably use yours.

>   + the rules file: I think you should read
>     /usr/share/kdelibs4-dev/Packaging.txt about some general things to
>     remember when packaging kde apps.  Most importantly, the
>     debianrules and the menu files stuff is pretty important

I did read this document, and have been meaning to make a .menu file for
awhile, but keep forgetting.  As for debian/rules, the dh-make template in
kdelibs4-dev seemed outdated to me (it uses DH_COMPAT=3, for example), and
AFAICT, the kde.mk class in cdbs contains more up-to-date
best-packaging-practices.  But I could be missing something essential here.

>   + there is a .menu file present in my package.

Awesome.  =)

>   + otherwise, your package is identical or better, imho, so nice work

Thank you.  =)  I'm sure your package is very well done, and can't wait to
take a look at it.

> Anyway, I'm sorry about this, I hope we can work this out...

No problem.  Thank you for being so cool about it.  I think the end result
will be a better-maintained package, from which everyone will benefit.  =)

> domi ( who goes to file an ITP bug on kdebindings immediately... )

Oh, nice.  I can't wait to test this out -- I've been missing this for a
while.  Let me know if you want a place to host test packages or subversion
access or anything like that.

Cheers,
nate

--