Re: Why does kdm still set dpi to 100?

On Monday 19 January 2004 20.46, you wrote:
> Did you intentionally send this off-list? I was hoping to have the
> discussion on-list.

No. I sent it in private by mistake. Sorry

> It's a bit unfair though, to want the xfree packages to automatically
> configure the dpi when kdm doesn't either.

I don't understand. You said that kdm should not set the dpi because the X
server autodetects it. In that case I would expect the autodetection to work
correctly.

I have a rather large monitor compared to its resolution: 19'' with 1152x864.
Display size is 340 x 270 mm. That is about ~80 dpi.
If I don't set the DisplaySize option in the Monitor section of the XF86Config
the the X server autodetects 101 dpi (if I remember correctly).

I have the next possible configuration options:
1.) leave everything as it is set by debian (kdm with -dpi 100 and no
DisplaySize option in XF86Config)
dpi is 100
2.) change all the server lines in the /etc/kde3/kdm/Xserver to -dpi 75
dpi is 75 (much better for my usage)
3.) remove -dpi settings from /etc/kde3/kdm/Xserver
I end up with dpi 101 which is worse IMHO than 1.)
4.) remove -dpi from Xserver and set DisplaySize in XF86Config
dpi ~80

I currently using 2.) and contemplating if 4.) would be better.

So I think the first step is to set the DisplaySize in XF86Config. Then at
least startx would work correctly.
But if just you remove -dpi from the kdm config, you don't get anything (and
it may be even worse).