Re: about shell scripts having X>&Y in place of X&>Y

On Wednesday, 1 March 2023 18:07:26 CET Patrice Duroux wrote:
> So I should have split this work into two patches and then sent one to
> linux-perf-user and the other one to linux-kselftest.
> Would it be possible to send an email to these (sub)lists with just a
> ref to my first post then or do I really have to split the patch etc.?

You could send an email to those lists and ask. But there's a high chance
they'll ask you to look at Documentation/process/submitting-patches.rst in the
kernel tree and retry following the procedure detailed there.

One thing that's missing and is required afaik is a Signed-off-by 'tag'.
If you do `git commit -s` then it'll automatically add that line.
As you're likely going to have to 'retry', then splitting the change into 2
separate patches is recommended.
You may also want to look at https://git-send-email.io/ as using `git send-
email` is highly recommended.

I've only send a few (small) patches and doing this for the first time may look
a bit daunting, but it's actually not that hard.
The first time just takes some time.