Re: debcheck and Suggests dbgsym packages

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 03:06:23PM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > > Actually, I'd suggest you just drop that Suggest.  What usefulness is it
> > > bringing anyway to your average user, suggesting them to intsall debug
> > > symbols?  Is it something so common for this package to have to debug
> > > its activity?
> >
> > This package suggest to install _another_ package debug symbol, not its
> > own.
> >
> > pari-gp2c includes a script gp2c-dbg that allows to debug GP programs with
> > gdb. For gdb to be able to display usable information,
> > pari-gp-dbgsym is needed.

Oh, I see what you mean now.

Then, I'd argue that that's one valid case for the package to stay in
the main archive instead.  I.e. use a manually build -dbg package.

But this is just my own opinion, I don't think there is anything
resembling a rule on matters regarding debug packages.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

More about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :