Re: debcheck and Suggests dbgsym packages

On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 11:41:07AM +0200, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:
> On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 11:15:14AM +0000, Paul Wise wrote:
> > On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 9:56 AM Bill Allombert wrote:
> >
> > > "Package has a Suggests on pari-gp-dbgsym which cannot be satisfied on amd64"
> > >
> > > However pari-gp-dbgsym exists in buster-debug
> > >
> > > So is it a debcheck bug or something that can be fixed in the package ?
> >
> > It is a bug in debcheck, it does not yet know about the debian-debug archive.
>
> Well, I'd argue that the message is correct.
>
> The Policy allows Suggests against non-existing packages, so the
> situation is alright, but you are in fact suggestion a package that is
> outside of the "main" debian archive.

The debug version of main is still main at least as far as the DFSG is
concerned.

> Even if debcheck learnt about the debian-debug archive, I'd still
> consider a package from the main archive having Suggests to a package
> from the debug archive something weird.

So are you suggesting I move pari-gp-dbgsym back to main ? Would the
FTP masters allow that ?  (pari-gp-dbgsym used to be named pari-gp-dbg
and be in main).

Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.