Re: DEP12: debian/upstream/metdata doesn't allow specifying the VCS branch

Hi Andreas,

On Tue, Dec 03, 2019 at 08:10:46AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 03, 2019 at 02:27:58AM +0000, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> > The debian/upstream/metadata file spec
> > (https://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamMetadata) currently supports
> > a "Repository" field, but does not document a way of specifying what
> > branch in the repository the upstream sources are in.
> >
> > This can be necessary when upstream e.g. has multiple release series
> > and the Debian package is tracking just one.
> >
> > Would it be possible to allow specification of a branch?
> Sure it is possible.  I see your point but I admit for the moment I have
> no (machine-readable oriented) use case - so I don't mind personally.
Ah, ok. I'm trying to grab upstream vcs snapshots, and this field is
great for that, hence my interest.

> > I can see two
> > possible ways of allowing this:
> >
> > * Add a new "Branch" field in the YAML file that goes along with the
> >   Repository field. E.g.:
> >
> > Repository: https://git.samba.org/samba.git
> > Branch: 4.7
>
> As I said I would not mind much personally, but just "Branch" is a bit
> generic.  In case this form is prefered Repository-Branch sounds a bit
> more clear to me.
That's a fair point. Perhaps prefixing both of these with Vcs- would
address that concern? That said, I think I also have a slight
preference for the other option, which provides consistency with the
Vcs-Git header and a single field.

> > * Allow specifying the branch in the Repository header somehow. This
> >   would be more consistent with what happens for e.g. the packaging
> >   metadata headers in debian/control. E.g.:
> >
> > Repository: https://git.samba.org/samba.git -b 4.7
>
> This is another alternative to make things more clear and may be this
> should be prefered.

Is there a process for making changes to debian/upstream/metadata
specification at the moment? Let me know if I should go and edit the
wiki page.

Jelmer

--
Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer@jelmer.uk>