Re: removing xchat

On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 02:44:38PM +0200, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 8:44 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 08:42:18PM +0200, Niels Thykier wrote:
> >>
> >> If neither Davide nor Bart (just CC'ed) speak up for keeping it, I am in
> >> favour of xchat being removed/replaced by hexchat.
> >
> > I wonder whether it makes sense to set in hexchat
> >
> >    Provides: xchat
> >    Replaces: xchat
> >
> > to make sure users will not end up with unmaintained software on their
> > systems.
>
> That doesn't make sense since migrating from xchat to hexchat is an
> extremely manual and a bit time consuming process, which is why I am
> still using xchat and probably still will after it is removed.

maybe my usage of xchat was just not advanced enough (only 1 custom
plugin, 3 networks via a proxy on my vps), but it took me 10, 20 minutes
tops to migrate 2 weeks ago by doing the steps in
https://hexchat.readthedocs.org/en/latest/faq.html#how-do-i-migrate-my-settings-from-xchat

to be honest I didn't notice anything missing even though that same
documentation above says that could be the case.

if there was a xchat2 compability wrapper script that would do the
migration by just automating the steps mentioned above and then exec'ing
hexchat, it would have worked for me just fine.

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org>