Re: Help me with tracker.debian.org

On Fri, Jul 04, 2014 at 02:34:58PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> What about just updating those links everywhere to point to the new
> package tracker?
>
> Do people feel that it's too early for this?

IMHO, the right way to go about this is having a grace period during
which both services are available and mutually link to each other.

For now we should:

- patch the "old" PTS to prominently show a link like "hey, you know
  that there is tracker.d.o now? take a look!". The link should exist on
  every package page and should point to the corresponding package page
  on the "new" PTS

- patch the "new" PTS to have a link like "wanna go back to the old PTS?
  click here", and maybe add some language pointing people that miss
  some of the old features in the new implementation to how they can
  contribute. Bonus point: make the link appear only for people that
  come from the old PTS (e.g. by inspecting referrer HTTP headers)

When we feel ready to do the big switch we should:

- not bother going all around the Debian infrastructure to fix links to
  the old PTS in a big batch, but rather redirect old URLs to the new
  PTS at the HTTP level

- bonus point: create new URLs that point to the old PTS
  (e.g. old-pts.debian.net) and keep them around for a while, depending
  on the acceptance that the new PTS will have gained in the community

My 2 cents,
Cheers.
Former Debian Project Leader  . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .