Re: Dealing with emacs21 (and related) bugs [was: Re: ignoring bugs with no maintainer]

Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

> For this concrete case, might I suggest following course of action:

> 1. ping all submitters of emacs21 (and related) bugs to test against
> recent emacs (at a minimum emacs23 from wheezy) and deal with the bug as
> needed
> 2. if no response within a reasonable amount of time (3 months?)
> mass-close them

> According to my script this applies to 162 bugs, of which some are in
> the 5 (five) digit range and only 1 (one) bug number is higher than
> 500000. List attached.

If everyone reading this who uses Emacs (probably a lot of people!) takes
a moment to do a bit of triage on the list you posted (thank you!), we
could make most of this go away, actually.  I started doing that since I
was curious how easy it would be and was able to resolve five or six bugs
as previously fixed in just a few minutes.

I'll do a bit more of that this morning before I have to go do other work.