Re: Handling of new bugs filed against inexistent packages

On 16/05/13 at 23:02 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Jo, 16 mai 13, 20:24:41, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > On 16/05/13 at 19:48 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > As you might have noticed today I made myself busy doing some bug triage
> > > from the 'unknown-package' bug list[1]
> > >
> > > [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?maint=
> > >
> > > I couldn't help noticing there are quite a few new bugs filed against
> > > wrong/inexistent packages and should probably be dealt with as they are
> > > filed (reassigned to the correct package or closed as appropriate).
> > >
> > > Would it make sense for such bugs to be forwarded to -qa so that more
> > > people can look at them?
> > >
> > > As far as I know they currently go to unknown-package@qa.d.o but I have
> > > no idea how many persons are behind that alias and I see no reason for
> > > this to be handled by a private alias.
> >
> > Hi Andrei,
> >
> > I also see no reason to significantly increase the traffic on -qa@. :)
>
> Would you know how many mails that is?

No idea, but I don't see the point of sending them all to -qa either :)

> > Currently, we have:
> > unknown-package: cjwatson, aliceinwire@gnumerica.org
>
> CCed.
>
> > If you are interested in working on that, could you reach out to them
> > and see if they need help?
>
> Yes, I'm interested. Feel free to add me to the alias if there are no
> objections from your side.
>
> > There's also a UDD CGI that lists bugs filed against unknown packages:
> > http://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugs-removed-packages.cgi
>
> This lists quite a lot more bugs than the BTS URL above. I wonder where
> the difference is coming from...

The UDD list considers that "unknown package" = "package not in
(squeeze, wheezy, jessie, sid, experimental)"

The BTS list might use "not in any past release" (or just include lenny)

Lucas