Re: quality assurance for games

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 08:50:04AM +0100, Markus Koschany wrote:
> On Fri, 23. Nov 21:44 Bart Martens <bartm@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 09:43:16PM +0100, Markus Koschany wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > one month ago i have started a similar thread on debian-devel-games but
> > > haven't got much feedback although at least one team member replied and
> > > supported my proposal. [1]
> > > [1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/2012/10/msg00062.html
> > >
> > > My original idea was to track orphaned games, incorporate them into the
> > > games team and eventually remove them if nobody is interested in
> > > maintaining these games. I think i have identified some candidates and
> > > therefore would like to ask the qa-list for advice and whether it makes
> > > sense to pursue the idea.
> >
> > If you want to adopt orphaned packages, go ahead.  If you want to maintain the
> > packages in the games team, that's your choice.  But I don't see the point in
> > incorporating the packages into the games team if it is still uncertain who is
> > going to maintain them there.
>
> That's a misunderstanding. Of course nobody would join a team and
> dump some random packages on it before talking to the people who are
> involved.

Sounds reasonable.

> Therefore the idea was to track orphaned games, to find out if someone is
> interested in maintaining them within the team and if not to remove the package.

It is not clear to me what you mean by "to track ... to find out ...".  Aren't
orphaned packages already "tracked" in Debian ? Can't anyone interested already
find them there ?

> Besides the idea stemmed from the fact that some of those packages were orphaned
> by the Games Team and that they should have been removed already three years ago.

I guess nobody so far has found the time and interest to submit RM bugs for
them.

> [..]
>
> > > As far as i understand the removal process [2], ftp-masters need some
> > > sort of reference for such a decision. I hope this thread gathers enough
> > > feedback and can later be considered as such a reference.
> > > [2] http://wiki.debian.org/ftpmaster_Removals
> >
> > I think it's OK to gather a few facts and decide to submit RM bugs if you're
> > convinced that removing the packages is the right choice without much feedback
> > gathering.
>
> Sounds good. But now i'm wondering, why not making the next step and remove packages
> automatically which have been orphaned for more than two years and also have a
> low popcon value for example?

Random DDs like myself cannot remove packages.  But you could write a script
that produces RM bug reports you read before submitting them.  The criteria
should obviously also include checking for reverse dependencies.

On the other hand, maybe ftpmasters are interested in a tool for selecting the
packages to be removed, to do the actual removals without the RM bugs.  You may
want to check this with them.

> If not much feedback gathering is required
> this could be an automatism at the beginning of each release cycle.

Or daily, so that the RM bugs are submitted throughout the entire release
cycle.

Regards,

Bart Martens