Re: quality assurance for games

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 09:43:16PM +0100, Markus Koschany wrote:
> Hello,
>
> one month ago i have started a similar thread on debian-devel-games but
> haven't got much feedback although at least one team member replied and
> supported my proposal. [1]
> [1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/2012/10/msg00062.html
>
> My original idea was to track orphaned games, incorporate them into the
> games team and eventually remove them if nobody is interested in
> maintaining these games. I think i have identified some candidates and
> therefore would like to ask the qa-list for advice and whether it makes
> sense to pursue the idea.

If you want to adopt orphaned packages, go ahead.  If you want to maintain the
packages in the games team, that's your choice.  But I don't see the point in
incorporating the packages into the games team if it is still uncertain who is
going to maintain them there.

> I would like to see the following games removed from Debian because they
> have been orphaned for a long time and are of poor quality (gameplay,
> graphics, overall impression, no upstream) and will waste developer time in the
> future because someone has to polish the packages.
>
> These games are:
>
> * XBattle
> * XBoinc
> * shisen.app
> * stepbill.app
> * battleball
> * XChain
> * XBomb
> * XTux

No objection from me.

> I suggest to remove them all at once as soon as Wheezy has been released
> to give people enough time to reintroduce the games for the next stable
> release, if someone really cares about them but wasn't aware of their current
> status before.

Sounds reasonable, although I don't see a problem with submitting RM bugs now
without waiting for wheezy to be released.

> As far as i understand the removal process [2], ftp-masters need some
> sort of reference for such a decision. I hope this thread gathers enough
> feedback and can later be considered as such a reference.
> [2] http://wiki.debian.org/ftpmaster_Removals

I think it's OK to gather a few facts and decide to submit RM bugs if you're
convinced that removing the packages is the right choice without much feedback
gathering.

Regards,

Bart Martens