Re: (semi) automatic check for broken links in package descriptions

Tiago Bortoletto Vaz <tiago@debian.org> writes:

> I'm with pabs about integrating it to qa.d.o, sounds really helpful :)
> Btw, I've just checked a few links reported as error 500 and some seem
> to not present any problem. See:

> http://sdl.perl.org/
> http://www.kuwata-lab.com/erubis/
> http://www.kuwata-lab.com/kwalify/
> http://www.pstoedit.net/
> http://www.rc0.org.uk/tdl/

One thing to be aware of with link checkers is that there are some sites
that will return errors to bots but not to browsers.  I don't know if that
applies to any of these, but I see that a lot when running link checks
against my own web sites.

There are also just a lot of transient errors in the web, either due to
temporary network problems or due to temporary server problems.  It would
probably be a good idea to cache results and only start warning if the
site was consistently unreachable over a longer period, like a week.