Quilt bug or needs repackaging?

Hi,

at

   svn://svn.debian.org/debian-med/trunk/packages/saint/trunk/

I did some preparation for a new package.  It needs a fairly simple
patch for the Makefile (just s/rm/rm -f/).  When I try to build the
package with the debian/ dir from SVN with an *unchanged* tarball
which does contain *two* directories:

__MACOSX
SAINT_v2.3.3

debuild fails with:

   dh_clean
 dpkg-source -b SAINT_v2.3.3
dpkg-source: info: using source format `3.0 (quilt)'
dpkg-source: info: building saint using existing ./saint_2.3.3.orig.tar.gz
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|--- SAINT_v2.3.3.orig/Makefile
|+++ SAINT_v2.3.3/Makefile
--------------------------
No file to patch.  Skipping patch.
1 out of 1 hunk ignored
dpkg-source: error: LC_ALL=C patch -t -F 0 -N -p1 -u -V never -g0 -E -b -B .pc/fix-makefile.patch/ < SAINT_v2.3.3.orig.8T3hfI/debian/patches/fix-makefile.patch gave error exit status 1
dpkg-buildpackage: error: dpkg-source -b SAINT_v2.3.3 gave error exit status 2
debuild: fatal error at line 1350:
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -D -us -uc failed

I can confirm that a simple

    quilt push

is able to find the file to patch.  Moreover if I do *repack* the source
tarball and simply remove the __MACOSX directory everything is fine and
the package builds nicely.  The question is:  Is this a quilt bug (which
I could not really think about because quilt itself runs fine) or what
might be the problem.  Repackaging would not be a real problem but I
would like to understand the issue to possibly be able to detect a bug.

Kind regards

     Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de