Re: (semi) automatic check for broken links in package descriptions

On 04/26/12 03:26, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Simon Kainz wrote:
>
>> after getting frustrated by broken links in some package descriptions, i
>> hacked up a script to check for broken links in the packages descriptions.
>>
>> (see http://simon.familiekainz.at/dropbox/errs.html, based on wheezy/amd64)
>> for an example. Is this worth investing some work into it? I'd gladly do,
>> and (mass)file some bugs and imrove the script,  if this is of some interest
>> for QA/Debian and not being done already.
>
> That sounds like a useful project to add to qa.d.o and the PTS, even
> more so if it could detect parked domains or other spammy stuff.
>
> Can you describe how it works? Does it check only the Homepage fields
> or also links in the Description and Vcs-* fields?

Well, currently i only check the "Homepage" fields. I thought about the
other links as well, but processing the Homepage entries seemed to me a
first reasonable step. Processing the other URLs is surely doable.

I think I will restructure my current scripts and make the whole thing
more modular, to make it easy to add more locations to search for urls.
Also I need to process source packages as well, which I currently don't.

How would one incorporate the found data into PTS/qa.d.o website/...? Is
there a documented/proper way? Or should I just do this on my own and
PTS would link against my data?

Regards,

Simon