Re: DEP-2: Debian Package Maintenance Hub

* Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> [120128 20:28]:
> Hum, we already have modified several Debian services (DAK, BTS) to send
> copies to the PTS. And I have mentionned that this copy sent to the PTS
> will let us use this new infrastructure also for packages where the
> Maintainer has not (yet) been updated.
>
> But I would like this to be a temporary situation, I don't want to keep
> the duality of mail flow towards maintainers.
>
> And somehow I doubt that the maintainers of said services will want to
> disable sending mails to the Maintainer and just send mails to this
> system. If you consider that those services are to be used also by
> derivatives that do not use DPMH, it makes sense for those services to
> keep using the Maintainer field.

I think this way you get the worst of all possiblities combined.

As maintainers might not use it, you need a copy for subscribed users
anyway. But you also get a mail to the address for packages of
maintainers that do (unless every information source special cases those
addresses), so you need something to only use one of those mails (which
might arrive in any order at the service).

Thus you make sure the duality stays forever.

Compare this with every information is only sent once to the new service:

Information source do not need to send copies, they do not have to care
about "Maintainer:" or "Uploader:", just a single way to send stuff.
(And if anything wants to have a mode for non-Debian it still needs to
know when to send a copy to the PTS or this new service, so just only
sending it once in that case makes things only simpler even then).

Maintainers do not need to change their packages instantly (and most
packages might not need any changing at all). As uploader-,
maintainer- and subscription mail is sent by the same service, it could
offer settings like "send mails for this package to this address instead
of my old maintainer address in stable" or "don't send me a copy if this
mailing list also gets a copy" or "send me a copy for things I'm
uploader unless I already get a copy" instantly.

        Bernhard R. Link