Re: Load on udd.d.o

andreas@an3as.eu (Andreas Tille) writes:

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 06:00:33PM +0200, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
>> Debian got a lot of new machines by donations in the past, machines that
>> had been stocked with the best and newest parts at that time. The time
>> we got those donations is over and will most probably never ever come
>> back.
>
> It would be interesting to learn more about this statement.  I guess you
> are basing it on the numbers donated hardware / year.

I suspect it may also have come from discussions I've had with the admin
team about funds that are or aren't available for various proposed
hardware donations.

> But where do you
> see the reasons which let you assume that they most probably never ever
> come back.

I wouldn't say "never", but the glory days of the "open source
investment bubble" when companies were jockeying for attention in a
rapidly growing market and had relatively large budgets to apply to
speculative investments are just gone.

> Are we doing something wrong / not so good as in those days
> when we got the donations?

Nope, we're just "victims" of macro-economic changes in the market
around us.  The companies that have supported Debian in the past are
still good friends of the project, but across the industry there's just
less total money available in the system to support things like donating
server hardware.

Bdale