Re: Load on udd.d.o

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:

> Also, wouldn't it be possible to just add more RAM to samosa ? It only
> has 6 GB, and RAM isn't that expensive nowadays. With <$1000, we could
> probably get a significant performance increase.

I don't think it'd be easy, no.  Many DDs seem to not understand that
most machines debian has are several years old by now.  6 gigs on a i386
machine already is an awful lot.  We just don't have enough new hardware
to go around.

Samosa for instance is a DL380-g3, a model that was *retired* by its
manufaturer in January 2005.

Maximum memory configuration on this particular model is 6 gig, the
machine is maxxed out.

> Note that the recent load problems were apparently caused by a lack of
> VACUUMing in the DB. I'm not sure why auto-vacuum doesn't work as
> expected, but I'm going to cron a VACUUM FULL once per month.
> This doesn't solve the root issue, though.

CLUSTERing specific tables might be cheaper in my experience.