Re: Load on udd.d.o

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:

> OK, I see. But given that Debian has some spare money, why don't we
> renew those such machines that are very old, out of warranty, etc?

We are purchasing a new lists and new syncproxy.eu/ftp.d.o box at this moment.
For various reasons these things take longer than expected and they are way, way
more painful than they have any right to be.  Currently, we seem to get little
to no support from people outside of DSA on this.  Maybe Debian doesn't want us
spending money on hardware.

So one part seems to be that buying new gear isn't easy or fast and instead is
very painful.

The other problem is that ever since the debconf and debian accounts got
merged, we have no clue whatsoever about how much money we actually have for
debian and for hardware.  It's certainly not an awful lot.  So even when we
actually manage to get to buy hardware, we don't really buy the gear we like,
but instead compromise and hope that what we purchase will be up for the job.

Which brings us to a third part.  If we actually wanted to replace everything
that's older than say 3 or even 5 years with new systems, we couldn't afford
it.  Not by a long shot.