Re: Amazon AWS credits for Debian QA work; help needed!

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 02:29:31PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> I've been willing to move my archive rebuilds work outside Grid'5000 for
> a while, since it would allow others to participate in that work as
> well.
>
> At this point, I'm fairly confident that we will get sponsored by Amazon
> to be able to run those tests on the AWS Cloud. I don't have the exact
> amount yet, but it's likely that we get enough credits to run ~60 full
> archive rebuilds.

That's *great* news, thanks for working on it. The work you've been
doing on rebuilds is invaluable and generalizing it so that it can be
done on other infrastructures out there is even more so. Kudos.

> There's some work to do to convert the existing scripts to leverage
> Amazon infrastructure. For example, we could use Amazon SQS for the
> queueing, etc. Is someone interested in working on that?

I can't offer coding time myself, but I'd like to discuss the
requirements you've in mind.

For instance, given we're generalizing the code, it'd be nice to have it
not too much tied to Amazon-specific technologies. 60 full rebuilds are
quite a bit, but won't last forever and I'd oppose betting on the fact
that Amazon will be kind to Debian forever in the future. I bet that
targeting Amazon's API would make it possible to run the rebuilds also
on Eucalyptus private clouds, is that correct? Having a simple
indirection layer that enables to use other infrastructures
(e.g. OpenStack) would be lovely.

Cheers.