Possible topics for the Lintian BoF at DC11

Hi

I am planning to do this event a bit like the DC10 one, which was
basically pitching or debating ideas.  To kick start the event, I have
written a short list (see below) of possible ideas/topics we can debate;
feel free to add more ideas or bring them up on the day.

I have taken the liberty of BCC'ing debian-qa and debian-derivatives on
this email, since some of the recent topics have been debated on these
lists.  Please be sure to follow up to the Lintian list.

~Niels

Possible topics (incl. some from last years BoF[1]):
 * Lintian "extras" (team/vendor specific checks)
   - No official progress
   - Vendor profiles can be abused for "adding" extensions
     (not "officially" endorsed though)
 * Tag (description) translations
 * Supporting "Lintian.d.o"-like setups for derivatives/third-parties[2]
   - Currently rather inbred code ("it's more awkward than it should
     be")
 * Lintian Static Analysis Framework[3]
   - Expose parts of Lintian as API/Framework for others
     (e.g. liblintian-perl)
   - Mirror sync support
 * Multiple-version/architecture support (#632115 and [4])
   - Handling processing of pkg $ver1 and $ver2 at the same time
   - Opens the door for limited doing "upgrade" checks.
     - Not a replacement piuparts
     - Maybe as a separate tool using "liblintian-perl"?
 * Maintenance/Attracting more (diverse) developers
   - Out-source check maintenance to relevant parties
     - (e.g.) Python related checks have been outdated for a while.
   - A lot of check/tags use a simple diagnosis
     - File X in dir Y requires/implies strong dependency on Z
       (checks/files should have a number of examples)
     - Write a simple Domain Specific Language for common cases?
 * Your idea/proposal here

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-lint-maint/2010/08/msg00012.html

[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-lint-maint/2011/07/msg00039.html

[3] http://lists.debian.org/debian-lint-maint/2011/07/msg00044.html