Notes from the lintian BOF

Hi,

I took some notes from the lintian BOF. I tried to include everything that
was discussed, but I'm sure I missed some things. I tried to omit my opinion
and add a marker when I did include it.

I hope they are useful and that we can continue discussing some of the
ideas.

* Lintian "extras" (language/team/etc-specific checks)
 * meta-package: some people think it's a good idea - but:
  * notify when you want lintian-$LANG
 * OR: get everything in the core package, warn when a dep is missing but it
might be worth installing it
  * how to detect those cases?
* Vendor-based checks exclusion
 * not lintianrc-based: should be possible to use the same installation to
check for different distros
 * really vendor-based: ubuntu, emdebian, $COMPANY
 * not just exclude, also include more
 * use case: different suite names - expected: different profiles without
code changes
 * CLI-based "profiles:"
  * add wrappers?
  * include the vendor in the Tag?
  * possible integration with checks/*->.pms? ubuntu_check_foo
   * or include $PATH-based?
* Scope of lintian checks? cppcheck and other utils
* Improve documentation of lintianrc
* Wiki.d.o tags review
 * advertise it
* Tag translations:
 * Wiki-based? lintian could point to the translation on the wiki
  * Rather ugly -- Raphael
 * At least the description should be able to be translated
  * Not sure if it's worth translating the tag name, could also lead to
    confusion -- Raphael

Cheers,
--
Raphael Geissert - Debian Developer